Overview of this summer’s activities:

I feel as though I need to apologize to all donors for not posting pictures or blog posts in the last month. To say in the least it has been busy. I have completed the deworming campaign for this summer and the amazing community health workers will continue administering the medication and data collection every 3 months for the next year. I also had both medical camps! More details and PICTURES below!

Medical Camp at Walodeya, Chavakali:

On Thursday, July 4th I held my first medical camp in Chavakali at Walodeya Church. Overall, things went very smoothly. All nurses, community health workers, clinic officers, lab technicians and public health officers showed up on time and worked hard through out the day. Four SID teammates: Lauren, Becky, Greg and Josh came along to help where needed. Lauren weighed, Becky took blood pressure and Greg and Josh helped record malaria testing. When we arrived at 8AM to set up the church we already had about 50 people standing outside the church waiting to be treated. I realized then that all my fears of people not showing up would not be a problem. Around 10AM I realized I was going to run out of medication!! Through out the day we continued to run out of various medications. At 4:30PM we had to stop allowing people to enter the church and at 5PM we stopped diagnosing and treating patients. Although it was very hard to inform the crowd we would not be able to help them today, I had to remember the people we were able to treat.
When I received the final report of the medical camp I learned we treated 452 people in total. The services provided that day included: general diagnosis, various medications for diarrhea, cough, pain, and malaria, HIV testing and counseling, cervical cancer screening and malaria testing.
This past Friday, July 19th I held my final medical camp and SID project of the summer. The medical camp was a new location called Mudete, Ezava PAG church. This time around with advice from my host I changed the lay out of the church and the flow of people in and out of the church. This made a significant difference and the day and flow of people was much more calm. I also ordered more medication and this time I did not run out! Actually, I have extra of certain medication, which I will be donating to the dispensaries this week before I leave. This time we diagnosed and treated 420 people.

P1000659
Nurses dispensing medication to community members.

P1000691
Everyone who worked at the second medical camp! This includes: SID Project Managers, Nurses, Clinical Officers, Community Health Workers, Lab Technician, Public Health Officer, and VCT counsellors

P1000676

P1000644
Everyone patiently waiting to enter the church

P1000658
Greg and the Lab Tech conducting malaria testing

Deworming:
I have completed the deworming campaign for this year! The deworming campaign is taking place in 4 ECD Nursery schools, which include: Kibaala, Bo-yusuf, Kisangula and Nadanya. These nursery schools are located in three different sub-locations: Munoywa, Inyali and Nadanya. We have held information sessions for both 2012 case and control groups. At the 2012 case information sessions, we have explained why this year we will not be continuing providing medication and data collection. I believe I have explained this in a post before, but for those who have not read above. The Ministry of Health and Ministry of Education have now partnered and started a national deworming program in the schools for all nursery schools and class one to class eight children biannually. Therefore, SID does not want to interfere with this and so we have stopped administering medication in these nursery schools. As for our 2012 control groups, we want to provide the medication they did not receive in the previous year. In early June at Munoywa, I would give the children take home notices to give to their parents and come to the information sessions at the schools the following day. I realized after my first information session and consent signing process that it was going to be difficult to get as many parents to come to the information session as possible, as only four parents showed up. However, with the help of the Munoywa community health worker we had almost every parent sign the consent form and we gave the first dosage of deworming medication and completed the first data collection. As I began at Nadanya all the teacher’s went on strike. That threw a wrench in my plan! However, my contingency plan, plan B, turned out to be a much better plan! This time around, I had the Nadanya community health worker call every parent the day before the information session and then call the parents who were still absent once again the day of the meeting. Calling parents the day-of seemed to work much better, and we had a much better attendance rate. I continued with this plan at both Nadanya and Inyali. Through out completing the deworming campaign I have learned the importance of listening and learning from different community members.

P1000612
Munoywa community health worker measuring a child and Joel recording the measurements

P1000617

The success of both the medical camp and deworming campaign would not have happened without the help of the Ministry of Health, nurses, clinical officers, public health officers, community health workers, and the support of all the project managers. Thank you also to everyone who donated, your money went towards providing basic medical care and medication to those in need, and providing many children with deworming medication, which will help them to be present and focus better in school.

Advertisements